We have been slowly and gently dipping our toes into the waters of adoption. I think it will take a while until we can fully submerse ourselves. I am not completely finished with the hope of a pregnancy. Nor am I completely sure that we will take the adoption route.
Our plan right now consists of gathering information, and should we decide to proceed with the next step in adoption, finding a counselor to help us grieve the loss of a possible biological baby. I don't feel like I would be the mother I want to be until I can do that.
The big big problem I'm dealing with right now is the lack of knowledge. I don't even know how to begin finding a decent adoption agency in Florida to call to ask the questions you're supposed to ask. We've also been researching state adoption, as that's a much more financially feasible solution for us, not to mention the fact that there are so many kids in the state system who need homes. The scary part for us is, we don't know what to expect from the state system. We feel we are not experienced enough to parent an older or very special needs child. Is that what we should expect? We also are afraid of the trauma (for all involved) of parenting a child whose first parents' rights have been terminated against their will. Is that what we should expect?
I can find more info on private adoptions (though not on specific agencies), but I can't seem to find people who have adopted from the state without fostering. Is there anyone out there in blog land who has chosen this option? Would you be willing to share your experiences? We are really clueless right now and would love the help.
By the way, the post by DH should be coming in a few days.
Adoption
Update Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM. by Fertility Challenged in Florida
Dalam topik adoption,musings
Dalam topik adoption,musings